Tuesday, June 11, 2013

When I first planned this trip I was going to bike around Denmark going from Viking site to Viking site. Life threw a wrench into those plans.

The day before I was supposed to leave I got the news that Cassie, my beloved Argentinian Dogo had cancer. She seems ok for now, and my friend Christine is watching her. I am so lucky to have a vet student as a dog sitter.

Anyways, I knew that I was in no mental condition to do my first solo bike tour in a non-English speaking country (I got lost on a Denver bike trail just last week)  The bike and all the gear are sitting at home and I'll be traveling via train and bus instead. I'll probably be renting a bike for local excursions.

It's been a day of late take-offs. It took 3 tries to get the plane engines started in Denver which made take-off an hour late. My comfortable layover at Washington -Dulles turned into a power walk from one end of the terminal to the other. Then that plane got to sit on the runway for over an hour due to bad weather. My comfortable layover in Amsterdam turned into another mad dash through the airport and passport stamping.

Finally here in Copenhagen, but my luggage has decided to spend more time in Amsterdam. I am comfortably settled in the Ascot Apartments. The Central Station and Tivoli Gardens are nearby. I've been to the grocery store for provisions including havarti cheese and my favorite Wasa bread (unavailable in the US). My plan is a quiet night in.

1 comment:

  1. Ummm... Havarti! Sounds like an adventure already. Hope you have a restful evening. Darin's grandmother was born in Denmark - a friend of her parents brought her to the US when she was a teen. If I can find out more I'll let you know. I do not know her maiden name, as she died when Oda (my MIL) was a baby.

    ReplyDelete